4-6 weeks before Exam
Since CKA is an “open book” exam, you should be preparing with the mindset of knowing where to find stuff in the Kubernetes documentation.
- If you are stuck while doing the practice questions after each chapter, dive into the official Kubernetes documentation to find your answer.
- Don’t rely on the course content to find your answers. Use it to understand concepts.
- Begin bookmarking documentation pages you find helpful.
- Run through the jsonpath practices.
- After finishing the Killer.sh simulators, come back this course to run through as many practice questions as you can.
- Comes with 2 free tries after you’ve registered for the CKA exam
- Only use official Kubernetes documentation to find your answers
- Take the opportunity to bookmark documentation pages you find helpful
- Do not panic if you find yourself struggling, I did too. The simulator is very tough.
- Practice setting up your Vimrc configuration, Kubectl autocomplete and alias.
- Register for the CKA exam
- Purchase a magnifying glass if you don’t have one. In case you have issues with your webcam not being able to focus on your identification proof. I faced this issue personally.
- Ensure you have read through the Candidate Handbook and Important Instructions.
- Buy a decent webcam if you do not have one.
- Get a second monitor (or a monitor extension for your laptop). This is extremely helpful and reduces time required to alternate between windows.
- Run the compatibility check tool and make sure everything is good.
- Clear out your desk, including speakers. You don’t need speakers for the exam.
- Get a clear cup for water
- Run the compatibility check tool again and make sure everything is good.
- Go through the entire Kubernetes Cheat Sheet and get familiar with every line in it.
- Always execute the switch context command displayed at every question before attempting the question, even if you think you are already on the correct context.
- Do not get stuck on a question. Mark/Flag it and move on to the next.
- Open a second browser window with a single tab on your second monitor, with all the bookmarks you need on the bookmark bar. Remember to let the proctor know that you have a second monitor.
These bookmarks have also been named according to what you see in the list.
- Cheat Sheet
- Kubectl Cmds
- Debug Svcs (nslookup,exec,iptables,run)
- Debug DNS
- Certs openssl
- PV hostPath
- Kubeadm upgrade
- Kubeadm cmds
- Kubelet cmds
- etcd backup
- Taints & Tolerations
- Svc Acc
- Security Contexts
- Liveness, Readiness Probes
Results usually come within 24 hours. For me, it was published almost exactly 24 hours later.
Good luck and all the best!